Amanda Church Whai Rawa was set up to improve levels of tertiary education, home ownership and saving for retirement and to improve the wellbeing of Ngāi Tahu whānau. Outside of these categories there are limited opportunities to withdraw your funds. Remember if you are aged 55 or older you can make 2 withdrawals a year towards supporting your retirement.

Please note when a full balance withdrawal is requested and approved, up to 95% of the funds are released. Up to the remaining 5% of the available full balance will then be released by a second disbursement at the end of the relevant quarter. The remaining funds will be made available once earnings and tax calculations have been applied.

Retirement (55+)

From the age of 55, two withdrawals may be made from your Whai Rawa account each year for any purpose.  The minimum withdrawal amount is $500 (or 95% of your account balance if it’s less than $500). Download the Retirement Withdrawal form.

Tertiary Education

Whai Rawa can be used for any NZQA or overseas equivalent approved course, either on completion, or during the course of study if no alternative sources of funding are available to you.   Download the Tertiary Education Withdrawal Form or find out more about planning for and funding tertiary education.

First Home Purchase

Whai Rawa can be used to buy or build your first home or a subsequent home purchase where you are in the equivalent position of a first home buyer (a useful guide is if you are being allowed to withdraw your KiwiSaver monies towards the purchase). Download the First Home Purchase Withdrawal Form  Find out more about planning for and funding a first home purchase.

Serious Illness

You may be able to make a Serious Illness withdrawal if you have an injury, illness or disability:

  • that results in you being totally and permanently unable to engage in work in which you are suited by reason of experience, education, or training or any combination of those things; or
  • that poses a serious and imminent risk of death.

If you meet these criteria you do not need to prove you are in significant financial hardship.

What You Will Need: Along with the completed Serious Illness Withdrawal Form, you will need a medical explanation of your illness as well as any supporting information, and have a doctor complete a confidential declaration for you.

Significant Financial Hardship

To have a significant financial hardship (SFH) request approved by the WRFL Board, you need to provide evidence you are suffering, or likely to suffer, significant financial difficulties because you:

  • are unable to meet minimum living expenses; or
  • are unable to meet mortgage repayments on the home you live in, resulting in the mortgagee seeking to enforce the mortgage on your property; or
  • need to modify your home to meet special needs because you or a dependent family member have a disability; or
  • are required to pay for medical treatment for your own or a dependent family member’s illness, injury or palliative care; or
  • incur funeral costs if a dependent family member dies; or
  • suffer from a serious illness (alternatively, you may be able to make a serious illness application see above).

Before approving any request the WRFL Board:

  • must be reasonably satisfied that reasonable alternative sources of funding have been explored and have been exhausted; and
  • may direct that the amount withdrawn be limited to a specified amount that, in the Board’s’ opinion, is required to alleviate the particular hardship.

Minimum Living Expenses:
Minimum living expenses generally include the actual and reasonable costs of:

  • Basic food and grocery items
  • Accommodation (including mortgage repayments, interest, rates and necessary maintenance for the principal family residence)
  • Basic clothing
  • Utility services such as power, gas and telecommunications
  • Transportation
  • Fire and general insurances
  • Medical and dental costs necessary for the maintenance of good health
  • School fees (excluding private school fees)
  • Expenses in relation to any dependents with special needs
  • Other normal (non-luxury) household items

Generally, minimum living expenses do not include:

  • travel to visit a sick relative
  • paying off credit card debt
  • holidays
  • sky television payments
  • fines or infringement notices
  • mobile phone bills
  • debts with collection agencies (e.g. Baycorp)
  • hire purchase debt relating to non-essential living expenses (such as TV or gaming machine purchases)

What you will need: The Significant Financial Hardship Withdrawal form details the information required. This includes:

  • the completed application form
  • bank statements that show transactions for the last 30 days for all accounts in your name (individual, joint, business or in trust) and your partner’s name. Depending on your exact situation you may need information such as:
    • information about mortgage or rent arrears
    • all overdue bills less than 30 days old showing balances and regular minimum payments for all your accounts
    • details of your income (and any deductions) from your employer, Work and Income, or a summary of earnings if you are self employed
    • a quote for any necessary home modifications to meet special needs arising from a disability
    • a medical report and quote or invoice for any necessary medical expenses

Please note: If you are an undischarged bankrupt you are not able to make an application on your own behalf and must discuss a possible application with the Official Assignee.

Other Hardship Assistance: Members in financial hardship may also be eligible for a Pūtea Manaaki Grant. Where a Whai Rawa Significant Financial Hardship application is made,  a separate Pūtea Manaaki application does not need to be completed.  The Significant Financial Hardship application pack also includes other information regarding potential sources of assistance.

Deceased Estate

Should a Whai Rawa member pass, the balance of their account will become an asset of their estate once their personal representative or another specified person, requests payment.

If you would like to apply for a withdrawal from the account of a Whai Rawa member who has passed, you need to ensure you are the rightful claimant and fill in the Deceased Estate Withdrawal Form. There is a declaration that must be signed in front of a lawyer or Justice of the Peace relating to the withdrawal.