Since setting up Whai Rawa, Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu has contributed over $50 million in matched savings, newborn and annual distributions. Note: the annual level of contribution may differ between calendar years and between members. Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu may choose to cease or reduce contributions.
It’s mīharo to be in the great outdoors e te whānau!
It’s that time of year! Contribute to your Whai Rawa account before 31 December 2022 to go into the draw to win a great prize!
Every eligible member (aged 0-64) who contributes to their Whai Rawa account in 2022 will go into the draw to win a mīharo Dark Sky Takapō experience worth over $1200! Plus, there are 5 bonus prizes of $50 Kathmandu vouchers to be won as well!
How can I qualify for Matched Savings?
If you contribute $200 (or $50 for tamariki aged under 16) into your Whai Rawa account in the calendar year ending 31st December 2022 you will receive the maximum $200 Matched Savings* contribution to your account from Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu in March 2023. Remember that any contribution you can make will be matched – even $5!
Make sure your contribution is processed by the 31st December 2022 to qualify and that you reference the 6 digit registration number and surname of the person you are making the deposit for. Matched Savings payments are made no later than 31 March in the calendar year following contributions.
Giveaway Terms & Conditions
-All members who have a contribution made to their Whai Rawa account in 2022 will be eligible to win.
-The main prize is : › Dark Sky Summit Experience for 2 adults and 2 tamariki, › $150 voucher for Dark Sky Diner, › $500 Prezzy card, › $150 Kathmandu voucher
-There are 5 bonus prizes of $50 Kathmandu vouchers.
- The winner of the prize draw will be notified by email or by telephone.
- If Whai Rawa is unable to contact the winner within one week of the Prize Draw the Prize is forfeited and Whai Rawa will redraw another winner.
- The winner of the Prize Draw will not incur costs in order to collect their prize.
- Whai Rawa will advise the winner when the prize will be couriered but take no responsibility for failure to receive a prize.
- Whai Rawa reserves the right to request proof of membership from a person claiming a Prize.
- There is no entry fee or ticket for the Prize Draw.
- Prize Draw winners will be listed on social media. Your name and location may be published if you are a winner.
- Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable for cash. In the event that a Prize becomes unavailable for reasons beyond the control of Whai Rawa, Whai Rawa may substitute a prize of equal value. It is the winner’s responsibility to access and use the prize accordingly. Whai Rawa is not responsible if the prize is unused and no monetary compensation will be provided.
- Employees of TRONT or any of its subsidiary entities, TRONT Representatives or employees of any company involved in the Prize Draw, or any advertising agency or web company connected with the Prize Draw or any such persons subsidiary or associated companies, agents or members of their families or households, are not eligible to enter the Prize Draw.
- For all other standard terms and conditions see our Competition page.
He pānui pai! $30* Bonus Distribution!
E ngā whānau Whai Rawa, we are thrilled to announce a bonus distribution! All eligible members as of 30 September 2022 will receive a bonus distribution into their account of $30* less any applicable taxes.
The operational budget for Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu office has an underspend from the last financial year and so Ngāi Tahu have contributed $1.1 million to Whai Rawa for this bonus Distribution. We are also happy to announce that Annual Distributions to all qualifying Whai Rawa accounts will be announced and distributed in March 2023.
Ngā mihi nui ki Ngāi Tahu – kei te whakanui tātou!!
* Te Rūnanga Distributions are available to all Whai Rawa members under 65 years of age (see the Product Disclosure Statement) and are subject to RSCT (retirement scheme contribution tax) deducted at your personal RSCT rate (see the Other Material Information document at www.whairawa.com). If you do not notify us of your correct rate you will be taxed at the default rate of 39%. This is a one-off Distribution payment to be made no later than November 2022.
Whai Rawa Fund Limited is the issuer of the Whai Rawa Unit Trust. A copy of the Product Disclosure Statement is available at www.whairawa.com/pds. All content is subject to WRFL’s financial advice disclosure statement available here www.whairawa.com/financial-advice
Currently, for every $1 adult members (aged 16-64) contribute in a calendar year, Te Rūnanga will contribute another $1 (up to a maximum of $200 per member). For tamariki members (aged under 16 years old as at the end of the relevant calendar year), Te Rūnanga will contribute $4 for every $1 contributed (up to a maximum of $200 per member). Matched Savings and any Distribution payments are made no later than 31 March in the calendar year following qualification.
Elective members (those aged 65 and older at the end of the relevant calendar year) currently receive Kaumātua Grants outside the scheme rather than Whai Rawa Matched Savings.
Te Rūnanga sets a provisional budget for distributions within the Whai Rawa budget each year as part of the overall Te Rūnanga budget. Matched Savings are paid out of the Te Rūnanga budget first, with the balance (when applicable) being divided up for Distribution at Te Rūnanga’s discretion. Distributions are not certain; some years Distributions may not be made at all.
Elective members (those aged 65 and older as at the end of the relevant calendar year) currently receive Kaumātua Grants outside the scheme rather than Whai Rawa distributions.
To date the distributions have been:
- March 2007: Adult members $125 Child members $0
- March 2008: Adult members $250 Child members $250
- March 2009: Adult members $25 Child members $25
- March 2010: Adult members $20 Child members $25
- March 2011: Adult members $25 Child members $25 (paid March 2012 because of Canterbury earthquakes)
- March 2012: Adult members $30 Child members $30
- March 2013 Adult members $45 Child members $45
- March 2014 Adult members $37 Child members $37
- March 2015 Adult members $60 Child members $60
- March 2016 Adult members $80 Child members $80
- March 2017 Adult members $108 Child members $108
- March 2018 Adult members $125 Child members $125 (+ child member bonus $25)
- March 2019 Adult members $125 Child members $125 (+ child member bonus $45)
- March 2020 Adult members $125 Child members $125 (+ child member bonus $60)
- March 2021 Adult members $0 Child members $0 (one off class distribution for all tamariki accounts of $200*)
- September 2021 Adult members $30 Child members $30 (one off bonus distribution)
- March 2022 Adult members $0 Child members $0 (one off class distribution for all tamariki accounts of $200*)
- November 2022 Adult members $30 Child members $30 (one off bonus distribution)
Note: the annual level of contribution may differ between calendar years and between members. Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu may choose to cease or reduce contributions.
Te Rūnanga currently makes a newborn distribution of $100* to a child member’s account if the child is enrolled in Whai Rawa before they turn one. This distribution is made in March, in the year following enrolment, at the same time as other Whai Rawa payments from Te Rūnanga.
All costs and expenses, other than Fund Manager fees, will be met by Te Rūnanga while Whai Rawa Fund Limited remains the manager of Whai Rawa.
Māori Authority Credits
Generally, all Matched Savings and Distribution payments have Māori Authority Credits attached which offsets some of the RSCT* deducted which means more money going into your account.
* Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu matched savings and distributions (when applicable) are available to all Whai Rawa members under 65 years of age (see the Product Disclosure Statement) and are subject to RSCT (retirement scheme contribution tax) deducted at your personal RSCT rate (see the Other Material Information document at www.whairawa.com). If you do not notify us of your correct rate, you will be taxed at the highest applicable rate of 39%.
Distribution payments are made no later than 31 March in the calendar year following qualification. Download our PDS at www.whairawa.com/pds