Nau mai, haere mai ki Whai Rawa
Nau mai ki te wāhi ipuraki o Whai Rawa.
Whai Rawa is the Ngāi Tahu savings programme that helps create a better future for Ngāi Tahu whānau through greater wealth and wellbeing. Improving participation in tertiary education and levels of home ownership, along with having sufficient funds for retirement, are key goals for the Whai Rawa scheme.
Tikanga hou, oranga hou Changing habits, changing lives
- All Whai Rawa members registered before the age of 1 currently receive a Newborn Distribution into their account
- Start saving early for your pēpi and take advantage of time to let their funds grow
- Teach your pēpi good savings habits and encourage a lifetime of benefits
- Withdraw your Whai Rawa funds to support your NZQA recognised tertiary course
- Saving for your tertiary education is currently supported by Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu Matched Savings and Distributions boosting your account
- Encouraging whānau to get higher levels of education will benefit everyone's future
- Whai Rawa recognises home ownership as one of the keys to enabling whānau to grow their wealth and wellbeing
- Withdraw funds to support your first home purchase, in Aotearoa or overseas
- You’ll be able to access your funds quickly and easily
- Whai Rawa aims to play an important role in the future of whānau by supporting retirement savings
- Whai Rawa funds are currently invested in the Mercer Investment Trusts New Zealand’s Socially Responsible Conservative, Balanced and Growth Portfolios.
- Withdraw from the age of 55, a decade earlier than KiwiSaver, to support your lifestyle
Sign up to
Ngā Kaitiaki Moni today!
Ngā Kaitiaki Moni is a fun and interactive space for Whai Rawa tamariki aged 5-15 to engage with financial capability learning. It is a platform for Whai Rawa to connect with and teach them about saving in an enjoyable way with activities, mail at home, competitions and more!
I just want to tautoko our Tipuna for having the foresight and preparing our claim. Without that, we wouldn’t have been able to get to where we are today and that’s with things like Whai Rawa. We all want to reach to the heights of our aspirations. Our Whānau, my moko can do this now because our people have got Whai Rawa.
Wendy Raumati (Ngāti Hateatea)
There are many benefits that come with being a Whai Rawa member, like having a way for whānau to save for education or a deposit on their first home. Whai Rawa is teaching the vital lesson of the value of money and the importance of saving to whānau.
Ruby Laugesen (Ngāi Tahu, Ngāti Kuri)
Ideally we'd like to use our Whai Rawa to buy our first home. For us, the benefit is being able to use it alongside what we've saved in KiwiSaver. We know that every small amount counts, you don't have to put in a huge contribution every week but what you do contribute adds up.
Harrison Hunt (Ngāi Tahu)
Whai Rawa means that my savings will help get me into the housing market and buy my first home one day, which is a pretty exciting prospect. My parents instilled in me the value of saving and so I know that any extra dollars I have will help. I like that my Whai Rawa account is working hard for me.
Lauren Connolly (Ngāi Tahu, Te Rūnanga o Arowhenua)