Nau mai ki te wāhi ipuraki o Whai Rawa
Whai Rawa is the Ngāi Tahu investment scheme that helps create a better future for Ngāi Tahu whānau through greater wealth and wellbeing. Improving participation in tertiary education and levels of home ownership, along with having sufficient funds for retirement, are key goals for the Whai Rawa scheme.
He tikaka hou, he oraka hou Changing habits, changing lives
- All Whai Rawa members registered before the age of 1 currently receive a Newborn Distribution into their account
- Start investing early for your pēpi and take advantage of time to let their funds grow
- Teach your pēpi good money habits and encourage a lifetime of benefits
- Withdraw your Whai Rawa funds to support your NZQA recognised tertiary course
- Contributing to your tertiary education is currently supported by Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu Matched Savings and Distributions boosting your account
- Encouraging whānau to get higher levels of education will benefit everyone's future
- Whai Rawa recognises home ownership as one of the keys to enabling whānau to grow their wealth and wellbeing
- Withdraw funds to support your first home purchase, in Aotearoa or overseas
- You’ll be able to access your funds quickly and easily if criteria are met
- Whai Rawa aims to play an important role in the future of whānau by supporting retirement futures
- Whai Rawa funds are currently invested in the Mercer Investment Trusts New Zealand’s Socially Responsible Conservative, Balanced and Growth Portfolios.
- Withdraw from the age of 55, a decade earlier than KiwiSaver, to support your lifestyle
WHAI RAWA SCHEME STATISTICS
to 30 June 2023
$31.6 millionSince inception
12,8992023 calendar year
WHAI RAWA FUND RETURNS
to 30 June 2023
Sign up to
Ngā Kaitiaki Moni today!
Ngā Kaitiaki Moni is the Whai Rawa kids club where you can learn about everything moni! Being a great kaitiaki moni means helping your friends and whānau, saving your pocket money or koha for important things, learning about what to do when you receive moni, and sharing your knowledge with others. Head to the website now to join!
Purchasing a home has got to be one of the biggest achievements in my life so far. In a relatively short amount of time, I was able to save a fair chunk of money to go towards my deposit. On top of purchasing a home, Whai Rawa has instilled in me the value of saving on a regular basis and made me feel more financially savvy.
Sean Bragg (Ngāi Tahu, Ngāti Kahungunu, Whakatōhea)
I just want to tautoko our Tipuna for having the foresight and preparing our claim. Without that, we wouldn’t have been able to get to where we are today and that’s with things like Whai Rawa. We all want to reach to the heights of our aspirations. Our Whānau, my moko can do this now because our people have got Whai Rawa.
Wendi Raumati (Ngāti Hateatea)
There are many benefits that come with being a Whai Rawa member, like having a way for whānau to save for education or a deposit on their first home. Whai Rawa is teaching the vital lesson of the value of money and the importance of saving to whānau.
Ruby Laugesen (Ngāi Tahu, Ngāti Kuri)
Ideally we'd like to use our Whai Rawa to buy our first home. For us, the benefit is being able to use it alongside what we've saved in KiwiSaver. We know that every small amount counts, you don't have to put in a huge contribution every week but what you do contribute adds up.
Harrison Hunt (Ngāi Tahu)
Whai Rawa means that my savings will help get me into the housing market and buy my first home one day, which is a pretty exciting prospect. My parents instilled in me the value of saving and so I know that any extra dollars I have will help. I like that my Whai Rawa account is working hard for me.
Lauren Connolly (Ngāi Tahu, Te Rūnanga o Arowhenua)