Ngāi Tahu registered whānau currently living in New Zealand or Australia can register with Whai Rawa online using this form or you can complete a paper-based application form (found in the Whai Rawa Product Disclosure Statement) and send it to us.
Not registered with the tribe? Sign up here online.
To complete a Whai Rawa application online you will need to:
- Be the individual wishing to apply OR be the parent, guardian or other relation of the applicant if the applicant is a minor
- Have a valid email account
- You do not need to know the Ngāi Tahu Whakapapa registration number of the applicant, or your own, but if you do, it should help us to progress your Whai Rawa application
- You need to be a New Zealand or Australian resident to join Whai Rawa
- You will need a NZ IRD number or, if based in Australia, an Australian Tax File number. If you do not provide this within six weeks of applying we will not be able to complete your application
All whānau registered with Te Rūnanga Ngāi Tahu who are resident in Australia can now join electronically by clicking the button above and entering your details, tick that you want us to verify your identity (and address) electronically without submitting any documentation. You will be required to supply either your Australian Drivers Licence no., Australian Medicare card no. or Australian Passport no. and expiry date, although we do recommend supplying as much of this information as possible. If you are the parent looking to join your tamariki or mokopuna, please supply your ID’s, not the joining child members ID’s.
Whānau – important update about Annual Distributions.
As you are aware COVID-19 has impacted many businesses, iwi, hapū and whānau, Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu included. As part of 2020 budgeting reviews Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu have reduced the amounts they contribute to Whai Rawa member accounts for 2020 and subsequently there will be no Annual Distribution paid to all members in March 2021 for the 2020 calendar year.
Te Rūnanga will make a class distribution(s) such that all child members, irrespective of their savings contribution, will receive $200*.
Matched Savings and Pēpi Distributions remain unchanged.”
* Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu matched savings and distributions (when applicable) are available to all Whai Rawa members under 65 years of age (see the Product Disclosure Statement) and are subject to RSCT (retirement scheme contribution tax) deducted at your personal RSCT rate (see the Other Material Information document at www.whairawa.com). Distribution payments are made no later than 31 March in the calendar year following qualification. Download our PDS at www.whairawa.com/pds